About Me

A schizophrenic careening through middle age looks at her life in black font.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What I'm Reading

2009, taken by my sister
I found an awesome book yesterday while browsing Barnes & Noble. When I got home, I thought over it. I wondered if the local used bookstore had it, as I was unwilling to pay too much for it. Especially since new books might look pretty, but there is nothing like a book that has been loved, cover to cover, by the careful hands and eyes of a reader.

No luck.

Being a "Nook" owner, I caved and downloaded it. Apparently, this book has been around awhile, but as I rarely enter bookstores (my impulse to buy out entire shelves is overwhelming), I missed it somehow. It's a book by Philip Zimbardo called The Lucifer Effect. It is a psychology book that explores why so-called "good" people do "bad" things, and vice versa. It got me thinking about schizophrenia.

If, as Zimbardo asserts, there are no real "bad apples", but there probably is something systemic wrong with the barrel made by the power elite, then perhaps - and I've been thinking about this for a long while - my illness might contain a genetic predisposition, but something, somewhere triggered it into effect. What drives a person into madness so profound they can't even calculate what day it is or remember to eat? It's not necessarily that horrible things may or may not have happened to me. This is not a self-obsessive, introverted angle I'm taking. What, I want to know, is contained in the society that shaped me that caused me to close in on Crazy Town? Why was this my "option"? Marilyn Manson noted that he had the same advantages and disadvantages as any of the kids he grew up with. He too wondered what had made him "different". His answer was much the same as Zimbardo's: "You made me, America."

I don't really believe anyone chooses to be schizophrenic. And it's not a choice I would have made, had there been one. Still, I would like some comments on this post (if you can conjure any), no matter how far-fetched, that may enlighten me. This is obviously a germ of profundity I'll have to work on.

P.S. Thank goodness for books.

6 comments:

  1. In response, I would say that the entire world is crazy, often less able to deal with their own insanity than you are. There are millions of ordinary people without mental illnesses who go out and shoot guns at each other, murder each other, and otherwise act like animals. You on the other hand may be schizo but you carry yourself much better, with much more of a stable nature (not flying off the handle because someone walks in front of your car, for instance) - you are more stable than a lot of those crazy sane people out there. In some ways, I imagine that learning to deal with the craziness in your head makes you more able to deal with the craziness of this world.

    However, the question you're asking might be: Does society shape the individual or do individuals shape society? I would answer both. But add that most people, most normal sane people, are completely insane. So insane people create an insane society that makes everyone miserable and crazy and angry.

    The other thing I would add is that it's getting better. The human race seems to often lean toward compassion, humanity, care. The longer this tendency is in our world, the more wrongs will be righted. Mainly, laws will be passed to keep the crazy sane people from beheading each other and drinking the blood.

    So, we're all crazy. Society is crazy. Life is suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I have that book too! and its cousin "Dark Nature." Yay!

    I don't think that society generates mental illness. I believe very strongly in a genetic componet to neurological diversity.

    But society does impact the survival and quality of life of those who are not neurotypical ("normal").

    Some societies revile the different, others worship them. As the population becomes more educated tolerance and help is given. (AKA, what Brian said)

    I have a little manifesto on my point of view that I should polish up to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bryan: Wonderful answer. It will take me time to absorb all of it, but when I do, there will no doubt be a post. Hehe.
    @ Lori: I would LOVE to read your manifesto. Granted, I'm not all the way through the book, but I am beginning to grasp its implications.
    @ The World: I too believe there are genetic precursors to MI. I'm just wondering -- and perhaps my post was worded badly -- what is wrong in the society I live in that made them catagorise people with MI "wrong"? I'm beginning to believe it's very much a case of projection.

    Thanks, guys. Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I can agree with the idea that society or "the world" has caused ANYONE an illness such as yours. ...not through behavior, at least.
    I think that things can changed based on bacterial infections. For example, a baby can become deaf from getting meningitis. Years of chemical exposure can create disorders or defects in ones offspring.
    So yea, social behavior, not so sure, but our dirty world, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Bryan.

    And I hope all goes well with your dad, Sue. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like this line of what bryan said alot:
    "However, the question you're asking might be: Does society shape the individual or do individuals shape society? I would answer both."

    Zoe wrote two entries in a blog (and promptly gave up) but it was basically debating this question... (http://www.myblackdog.blog.com/)

    im a bit fritzed to truly go into what i think, but basically i think genetics and environment are enmeshed (differently to what i argued a while back about only environment on zoes blog).

    our brains/genes whatevz develop in a more plastic way then previously thought. Our environment changes our genetics in other words. i think you and bryan are right. insanity is a sane reaction to an insane world... to the extent that those well adjusted are surely also a bit kooky - for being well adjusted to wars, poverty, inequality, etc is surely problematic too. The ammount of stress induced illness in society these days is also evidence of this, with people working harder and longer and always worried about money...

    im no expert, but thats my gut instinct.

    ReplyDelete