About Me

A schizophrenic careening through middle age looks at her life in black font.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Zen by Email


            I discovered the wondrous effects of meditation about 4 or 5 years ago … or was it 8? Time has little meaning here. About a year ago, I was compelled by a few good books I read to practice meditation everyday. With modern finesse that surprised even me, I diligently searched the internet for a local Zen temple in which to meditate. One stuck out, and when I called, the abbot answered right away. “Sure,” he said. “We’re sitting zazen tonight at seven. Please join us.”
When I arrived, nervous and wearing my least offensive clothes (with no pictures of metal or punk bands on them to offend the eye – yes, I had to search my closet), I was greeted by a graying man with a deep, reverent bow. I was made welcome at once. I sat as well as I could, as directed (2 periods of 20 minutes, with 10 minutes of walking meditation in between), trying not to so much as sneeze, or even blink. When it was over, we lit incense and the Zen teacher gave a talk on dharma while we sipped tea from Japanese cups. It was serenity defined.
In that year, I have grown close to the members of the Zen temple, joining in with their groups and taking the 3 Refuges in December of last year. I am now a lay member. I still try to meditate everyday. My teacher now is not that same, graying, shaved headed man, though he is her teacher. Suffice to say, I have slowly become a Zen Buddhist.
My teacher’s dharma name is “Kajo”, which means “mindfulness”, or simply “everyday life”, depending on your translator. Kajo has become a very close friend and confidant. Today she informed me she is moving to Alaska. I was both saddened and joyful. I am obviously down about losing the close companionship of a friend, but overjoyed that she will soon be with the people who love her and can support her. She says she will continue giving me lessons and counsel through the internet chat severs and email. In less than a month, in addition to dealing with the everyday claptrap that rumbles through my head like a freight train, I will experience the cold, but personal joy of email Zen. I’d like to remain impassive, but I am not looking forward to it.
I wonder if I’ll ever see my friend again. 

2 comments:

  1. I learned to meditate to ignore pain. When I was young I had what at the time was thought to be migraines but today would be cluster headaches. Either way they hurt like Hell. I use to be able to clear my mind but as my mental condition worsen I used chanting and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schizoids, that's wonderful that you've found something to help you. Meditation helps me calm myself down and think clearly, which is a relief from the humdrum of senseless stuff that rushes through my brain. It also alleviates some of the voices in my head for a time.
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete