About Me

A schizophrenic careening through middle age looks at her life in black font.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

30 Days of Mental Illness Awareness Challenge: Day Eight

Question: At what age were you diagnosed? At what age do you think your symptoms began?

 
I’m going to answer this question backward (as is my inalienable right as a willing participant), because my brain is malfunctioning lately and these things seem to happen outside of chronological order for me when I write in this condition.

Like every kid, I had imaginary friends. The difference between my friends and I was that I would talk to these imaginary pals openly, in front of everyone, up until the age of … well, I guess I never stopped. That’s the chief difference: mine didn’t go away. When others’ imaginary friends “moved away” or “disappeared” or lost their “magic”, mine continued in intensity and frequency. (Except the ones who died. For example, I watched “Katy” burn to death when I was 4, and even my older sister couldn’t convince me it didn’t happen and wasn’t real. It was extremely graphic – especially for my age – and I was a bit emotionally scarred by it. But this is another story.)

I’ve been talking to The People in My Head since I began to talk. I have no idea when this all began. It’s always been a part of, a piece of who I am, like an arm or a freckle. Around the age of 12 or 13, I started to believe I could see ghosts. I was special because I could communicate with the dead. Even celebrities joined in the mix. By the time I was 14, I was totally lost and batshit off-the-wall delusional. Three sheets to the wind psychotic. I lost my “real” friends (the few I had), because there was just no relating to me and the nonsense babbling I did about the chaos of my mind. I spent 5 years in the hole of schizophrenia without a diagnosis. My parents searched the house frantically for any drugs I might be taking, but of course found none. (I was actually so clean it hurt. I never had a big attraction to drugs, though I did try pot a few times in high school. All it did was make me paranoid, and I couldn’t understand why people deliberately made themselves paranoid and delusional, so I left it as a novel footnote to my existence. I pursued drugs no farther than that. Just in case you were wondering.)

Just a few days shy of my 19th birthday, my mother drew a proverbial “line of death” in the sand of our household. It was demanded I see a psychiatrist. He diagnosed me with “schizophreniform” almost immediately. He gave me an anti-psychotic. It made me tired, but

THE WORLD WENT QUIET.

The official diagnosis of full-on schizophrenia followed in 6 months.

PTSD took a little longer. I had no memories of what I had endured as a teen (either because I was so out of it with the Crazies, or because the truth of it was too terrible, or a combination of the two). When I finally found a therapist I could trust, I opened up. This was about 2 years ago now, and she told me I did indeed suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

GAH.
It’s so sad to me, because I was so smart! I could’ve done almost anything! I could’ve BEEN almost anything! So here’s a poem I wrote some time ago that sums up some of my despondency over What Might’ve Been:


"The Sense of Senselessness"

You had too many faces in the first place.
You moved too quickly.
You had me neatly packed into you.
Your calloused fingers were nastily possessive from the start.
I was tied too tightly to the ligature of your doubt
so no one could pull us apart.
Now without you, I splinter into anonymity,
as if someone spliced through my ocean
but the water of me is undeterred.
I belong to no one.
I am no longer cohesive,
my holy seal broken
as you seethe and break in tantrums and traumas.
You used to be the air all around me,
but now I am too big for toys.
Seeking out my center
I have given you away, removed you from my diameter.
But here is a turning point,
a twist in the plot:
however sleep comes,
we still glide together
where the ice in your iris contracts
where you make more black space for hatred.
Your light was ingratiating and I folded like ash beneath its boot.
You’ve never been fair.
Like me, you’ve grown beyond opposites.
I was two halves of a single snapshot, imposed
by your impartial retina.
I split in the center of your eye.
Your image is stenciled in the black of my typeface,
an optical illusion.
And if I thought the world was equally weighted,
I would have measured myself
by my name tag.
And if I paid deferment to a deity,
I may have hidden behind my incomes and outcomes.
But no one ever wins a war between two.
My god! You were always in me.
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Sue, I'm aghast that it took five years after the worst of it hit for you to get diagnosed. That must have been so incredibly hard, both during and after, once you knew what it was, and that you could have had a name (and a path to follow) for it earlier. Big cyberhug (but only if you want one :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet, Grayson! Thank you! Sometimes I don't know if anyone's actually reading, and comments like there are warmfuzzies. Big cyberhugs to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comments like THESE* (stupid typing)

    ReplyDelete